Monday, February 23, 2015

The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen



Title: The Running Dream


Author: Wendelin Van Draanen


Length: 336 pages


Blurb: Jessica thinks her life is over when she loses a leg in a car accident. She's not comforted by the news that she'll be able to walk with the help of a prosthetic leg. Who cares about walking when you live to run?

As she struggles to cope with crutches and a first cyborg-like prosthetic, Jessica feels oddly both in the spotlight and invisible. People who don't know what to say, act like she's not there. Which she could handle better if she weren't now keenly aware that she'd done the same thing herself to a girl with CP named Rosa. A girl who is going to tutor her through all the math she's missed. A girl who sees right into the heart of her.

With the support of family, friends, a coach, and her track teammates, Jessica may actually be able to run again. But that's not enough for her now. She doesn't just want to cross finish lines herself—she wants to take Rosa with her.

I love every possible thing about this book. I love the way the main character talks, and the way she narrates everything in the book. From the accident to crossing the finish line.

The only thing I didn't like was that there weren't enough moments where her sister talked to her. I like books that have sibling moments.

The Verdict?




So I give this book 4/5 Eiffel Tower Hearts.




Forever Trisha <3

7 comments:

  1. THis book sounds great! I'll look into it
    Does it have young-adult-ish stuff in it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddy, are you also m? Oh, and to answer your question, not really, but yeah some of it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, M was also me. I put my initial by accident instead of Maddy. Hey, just got this book after your review. I'm on Pg 103 and its so good!!!! :)
    Read my comment on For the Bookish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I don't think my comment was published yet, there so I'll send it to your through here now:
    Hey!! I saw that you are loking for some good books to read! I think you’ll like them becase I agree with you all on The Running Dream and Counting by 7’s. I’ve got a ton. Here’s my list:
    **A Mango Shaped Space (Wendy Mass)
    Out of My Mind (Sharon Draper)
    *******See You at Harry’s (Jo Knowles)*****
    So. b. It (Sarah Weeks)
    Flutter (Erin Moulton)
    As Simple As It Seems (Sarah Weeks)
    Keeping Safe the Stars (Sheila O’Connor)
    Smile (Raina Telgemeier)
    *Guitar Notes (Mary Amato)
    Because of Mr. Terupt (Rob Buyea)
    *Serendipity and Me (Judith Roth)
    Wonder (R.J Palacio)
    Counting By Sevens (Holly Sloan)
    Imperfect Spiral (Debbie Levy)
    One for the Murphy’s (Lynda Hunt)
    Glory Be (Augusta Scattergood)
    8 Keys
    *Love Aubrey
    A Corner of the Universe
    Brown Girl Dreaming
    Sisters
    I Emma Freke
    The Weight of Water (Sarah Crossan)
    ​Letters From Rifka
    Faith, Hope, and Ivy June
    Love That Dog​
    If only
    The Wanderer
    Home of the Brave
    The thing about luck
    Sure signs of crazy
    Red Thread Sisters
    In A Heartbeat
    ***My Sister’s Keeper (Jodi Picoult)
    Rain Reign (Ann M. Martin)
    ***Absolutely Truly (Heather Vogel Frederick)
    Read them all, they’re all so great/ I put starts next to my favorites.**
    Contact me for more (Yes, there’s more!! :)


    Tell me what you think and if you've read any of these and what you thought about them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maddy, we would probably be best friends if I actually knew you. I'd probably read more than have of the books you put on the list. If you want to, you can shoot me an email, and I would be happy to be in touch with you. Oh, and you can now follow my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I've never read this book, and I was looking into it. I'm wondering about the ages. Please answer my question: How old were you when you read it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana! Sadly, I'm not allowed to reveal my age, but I must say 10-16 is a good range of ages for this book.

      Delete

Hey guys!! Feel free to leave anything that's on your minds. I love you all!!